Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Mummy's Pride & Joy

Mummy created this blog to share snippets of my growing up. Time whizzes by so quickly and so much is happening every day that these precious memories would soon fade away if they're not put down in words.

Monday, September 11, 2006

How Beth has been Doing

An email that Mummy wrote to her friend, Auntie Caris, mother to 4-month-old Nathan, who asked how I was doing:

"Nice to hear from you again! I've been updating myself by reading your blog postings. Good to hear that Nathan's getting better and taking care of him is easier.

The day is so much brighter when you're able to sleep through the night, ya? Sigh...I wish I could say that of Beth as well. She's still having those night-waking spells - cries in the middle of the night (sometimes, once, sometimes twice or even thrice) and needs to be carried to sleep. Sometimes she can be awake for 1 whole hour. Not sure whether it's separation anxiety or she just cannot go to sleep on her own. So this week, I've been trying to train her to fall asleep on her own. The result is a lot more crying in the day especially when she's sleepy. And it takes 1 - 2 hours before she finally fusses to sleep, or she would fuss until the next milk time and suckle to sleep. Tried all sorts of methods - play with her and try to tire her out, sing to her, pat her, etc, but nothing works. She just wants to be rocked to sleep. And she still wakes up in the middle of the night! I've been so stressed up by her crying this week that today, I decided to stick to rocking her to sleep. Since she's still waking up at night, I need some peace in the day, else I think I'm going crazy soon. Don't know when I can have a good night of uninterrupted sleep again. Sigh.....really need lots of prayer for strength, patience, joy and wisdom.

She's been having stranger and separation anxiety as well. Been really sticky to me. Cries when she sees me walk away. Doesn't allow strangers to carry. Sometimes doesn't even allow daddy to carry. Guess it's another phase of social development. I don't mind it, though, knowing that when she has learnt to walk, she would be fiercely independent and won't even allow me to carry her. So, I'd better enjoy this phase as much as I can. I'm just worried about what would happen to her when I go back to work.

Beth's also been crawling pretty quickly now. Can't really leave her alone for longer than 2 minutes else she would make her way to dangerous places that are interesting to her - like the standing fan in the living room. Loves to drum-beat on the base of the fan.

Feeding solids has also not been easy. She's been rather erratic. Sometimes she takes slightly more, sometimes only one or 2 mouthfuls. Have been trying all kinds of fruits and vegetables, but she seems easily bored. Yesterday, I went to see a doc for some fungal infection and she was going to prescribe an oral drug that was not breastfeeding-safe. I told her I'm still breastfeeding and she asked me how old my baby was. When I said "7 months", her response was "Aiyah, 7 months already should be weaned off soon, right? Should only be drinking once or twice a day?" I said "No leh, I'm still latching her on 5 times a day." So in the end, she prescribed a cream instead of oral medication.

She's been behaving quite well otherwise. Becoming more responsive, expressive and playful. Loves it when I sing action songs to her, kiss her, hug her or tickle her. Very smiley, observant and curious. Despite the complaints, I still enjoy her very much. Gonna miss her a great deal when I resume work, which is only about 2 months away.

cheers,
Pagon"


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home